Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Starbucks Will Now Bow To Dunkin' Donuts?

The Truth Is Out!
Dunkin' Donuts has made it official, they are publicly calling out Starbucks for coffee bragging rights. Joining McDonald's in the competitive caffeinated market, DD looks to make their own statement. Complete with their very own website, www.dunkinbeatstarbucks.com, it appears they are very serious! I wonder how Starbucks will retaliate, if they do.
The double-blind taste test that was the basis of DD's confidence put DD's Original Blend up against Sbux's House Blend. As a former employee of Sbux, I can say that House Blend is one of the worse blends they have to offer, it is a mild type as well. Didn't really seem like a fair test to me, DD chose one of the worse blends to compare to a blend that they serve daily. Starbucks rotates their blend (at least when I was still there) every week, so taste buds do not get bored. I think DD should have done a test on the House Blend and also a speciality blend like Komodo Dragon, or Arabian Mocha Blend. Although I think DD lost points from me on this stunt, I do find their ads very entertaining and witty.


TV Commercial:


Here are some of my personal experiences:

Starbucks:
Good: cozy, Wi-fi, drink variety, good service, encourages customization,
Bad: pricey, longer lines, mostly open for less hours,

Dunkin' Donuts:
Good: cheap, short lines, food variety, open earlier/later, may have Baskin Robbins or Taco Bell attached
Bad: bad service, small, hasty

Also, if anyone has a Costco card and is looking for some great stocking stuffers, or just simply loves Starbucks, you can buy five $20 Starbucks Cards for the price of $80. You save $20! This is the first time Starbucks has done a promotion like this, I think it will be very successful once more people know about it. Hell, it may even spike the amount of members with Costco!

Sources: SeattlePI / FastFood

1 comment:

Ambre. said...

lies.
starbucks ftw !