Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Sheer Nostalgia : SF IV

Ha-Do-Ken!
Street Fighter II was the dawn of a new fighting game era, it brought it to a new level. I would say this game was the pioneer, and started it all. I still remember riding my bike or walking to the mall to go straight to the arcade and whoop some ass. Believe it or not, I was pretty dam good at these fighting games, particularly Street Fighter related ones. I used to insert my two shiny quarters, and play against people of all ages and shapes. Two quarters... was all it took to keep me busy for multiple hours! There is something exhilarating about destroying your opponent in public; bonus points if the girlfriend is there, because then he'd get mad and keep playing to try to prove to his girlfriend he's not a loser. But guess what? They still lost!
I was such a hard core arcade gamer when I was younger, any mall I would go to with my mom, she'd just drop me off at the arcade with like $5, and a few hours later, I would probably still have $3 left. I really do miss it, and I wish arcade gaming was still the same as it used to be. Now it is just filled with driving / shooting / I-can't-dance-without-instructions games, and it sucks.
The good news is, Capcom, after many many years, is releasing Street Fighter IV soon! Although I am sad that it will not be in the arcades, beggers can't be choosers. Reviving this series was a fantastic idea, and I know it will be successful. The 2-D gameplay is the same; with beefed up graphics. Most of your favorite characters are back; with some new ones. Enough of me yappin', check out this sick new trailer filled with excitement!


Bonus
Here is my top list of fighting games I loved kickin' ass in:
Street Fighter II
Killer Instinct
Mortal Kombat II
Mortal Kombat III Ultimate
X-men vs. Street Fighter
Marvel Superheroes vs. Street Fighter
Marvel vs. Capcom
Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Source: Kotaku

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome

Unknown said...

lol you still kick my ass in MVC2 ..

while you were owning it up in long island... i was holding my own in palisades...until they took down the last legit arcade -_-



i met alot of my good friends in rockland through the arcade...something about beating each other up in the arcades..and then bonding about it later LOL